nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear, still yuckky

  • From: "lester davis" <lhdavis8@knology.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear, still yuckky
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:21:05 -0500

You're going to be disapointed if you don't like Korean Giant
and Shinko.   Shinko ripens here the last week in Aug and a
very few are still hanging on 5 or 6 trees.  Korean Giant ripens
around Sept 10 and will hang on the trees for 3 or 4 weeks,
at least until the non-astrigent persimmons are ripe.   Both are
excellent eating pears off the tree and much better when refrigeratored.   Shinko averages 5-6 ounces when ripe and
have been thinned, is greenish yellow, Korean Giant will
average over 10 ounces if thinned to over 15" between
fruits, if plenty of sunshine can penetrate the foliage they
will be orange when ripe, green-orange if hidden within
the foliage, many will weigh a pound.  Both will keep for weeks for weeks in the refrigerator.

My original scion of KG came from the late Mr. JK Stalcup
in Marietta, GA and the Shinko came from a USDA
experment station.

Both are fireblight resistant with KG moreso than Shinko.
Mine are in the hot, humid south, zone 8A and have been
for over 15 years.