nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear recipes and preservation
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:13:17 -0700

There are many, many people who preserve food by methods that are not
recommended, and get away with it. The USDA bases its recommendations not
just on one person's long experience, but to avoid spoilage in, hopefully,
all cases where recommended methods are used.
Fruit preserving is relatively low risk. High acid fruit juices will
ferment and later turn to vinegar, usually, which may result in unintended
product, and you wouldn't want to get the kids drunk on your fermented
juice, but the health risk is small. The risk becomes greater if someone
generalizes from their successes with one juice to another lower-acid one
where the spoilage pathogens might be extremely harmful.

If your jars seal well, then you had a vacuum, whether water-bathed or not.
It may not be as complete a vacuum; but I wouldn't worry about additional
contamination. I would worry about contaminants not killed initially. Lids
should be sterilized before use. You're still right to be concerned about
pasteurization without a water bath: the water bath would kill lingering
pathogens on the lid as well as in the juice.

For fruit juices, I like to make concentrates by the freezing method I've
posted here a few times. But, to can Asian Pear juice:

I like to run my juicer parts and jar lids through the dishwasher to
sterilize them first; do make sure that the juicer or press is clean and, if
possible, at least somewhat sterile. Juice into a sterilized jar
(dishwashers or boiling water will sterilize. Put your juice in a pan or
kettle and bring up to 200 degrees. Add two tablespoons lemon juice per
quart of juice. Pour into hot, sterilized jars leaving an inch of headroom,
cap with sterile lids and rings, and hot-water-bath process (190 degrees)
for 30 minutes.

Asian pears can be preserved the same as apples or pears, but the recipes
will need to be acidified by that 2T lemon juice per quart. It's
recommended that Asian pear butter/spread/jam etc. be held in the freezer
until use.

~ Stephen