nafex - Re: [NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion

  • From: "L. Watson" <soldago@nc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:16:56 -0500

I'm a new member of NAFEX who learned about it from an enthusiastic member at a native-plants conference last summer. I joined because I wanted to learn from those who knew what the best cultivars and techniques were so I could make the best use of my limited land to create an edible forest garden and deal with our ongoing drought.

I'd love to see NAFEX accept with enthusiasm Robert Mullins' very generous offer to put Pomona in PDF form and rework the website. I'm in marketing and website design too and know that a good designer makes the content and medium work for the audience, not against it. Professional presentation will make it easier to find and understand what you are looking for and will attract new members.

On the other hand, if Pomona becomes reprints of selected emails posted on this list, then it becomes worthless to me. Even now, it is much less valuable to me than this list and the prospect of going to a conference or on tours. Different members join for different reasons.

It's distressing to see people who love plants *and* technology scorned. I'd also hope for a more welcoming term for new members who want to learn from the core members than "parasites." I hope in a few years to have enough experience to add to the discussion.

... Linda

Douglas Woodard wrote:
Amen, brother.

I think we have to remember that the people who provide the core value of NAFEX are the people who have some land (in many cases in the boondocks where it is cheap), actually do stuff with plants and spend their spare time doing *that* kind of thing, have collections of uncommon cultivars, have been around for a long time, have learned a lot of stuff but probably have not invested a lot of effort in information technology. [...]

People like me who are not in this "core-value" group are kibitzers, parasites. users of the value created by the core-value people. [...]
Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada