nafex - Re: [NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:12:28 -0500

tanis cuff wrote:

Please keep it simple! Whatever works on older & slower computers.
I have yet to meet a gardener or orchardist who wants THE lastest
computer & associated graphics. And who can afford it? I use
friends' & libraries' mostly older computers. Too many new websites,
and "improvements" of older websites, don't work well or won't
download at all on them.

This is paramount. Web stats and surveys show that while many folks have broadband, the majority do not. Add to that that most rural areas are on dialup or have shared slow service and it is clear than bandwidth hog websites might be pretty, but they quickly cut off most of their intended market. We'll be going for easily maneuvered content primarily. We'll make other stuff available for folks who have broadband and those who don't mind waiting, bu there will definately be no splash pages, few java applications, no animations, etc. Additionally, it should work a simply as possible due to software issues as well. While many of us do have newer software packages (me included), many of us do not like the resource hogs newer software versions have become (me included) and for no real good reason. I'm not a person who favors bells and whistles when they don't make sense and detract from site usability.