internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:51:15 -0500

On Mar 5, 2007, at 8:23 PM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

My own dislike for JIRA is that it has a somewhat cumbersome and heavy
UI for
my taste and is not as easily skinned as other things. We use bugzilla
which if
you look we skinned nicely: http://buni.org/bugzilla/ and is light
weight. Granted
it is kinda primitive by comparison. The skinning thing is really
important to me as
I think it is cheesy when you send customer (or even non-customer) to a
site with
12 UI themes. Less important internally.

The UI customization is Jira's week point. You've got to practically edit the JSP code by hand to wrap an existing site around it, which I did for years until I just gave up and customized the header. Our support site is at http://support.webperformance.com

I did try and install Bugzilla years ago, but it was a complete mess to say the least, no installer, very little documentation, a ridiculous GUI, and few features to speak of. Its probably completely changed, as this was around 2000 or so.

For a department or small business scalability isn't that important, as we never have that many people at a time accessing it compared to the number of people filing bugs on a large OS project. The area in which Jira shines is in managing employees and releases. It has extensive reporting and searching, (love the saved filters) with a particular emphasis on reports to help manage projects. And it integrates well with customer emails, which fewer and fewer bug reporting systems do these days. Thanks to the external API we were able to easily integrate access to the system from our product, so that customers asking for help can automatically include data from the program.

Note, Jira is not bug-free, and there are a few features we would like to be added, but it works well for us at least. I'd be surprised if it worked for everyone; that's why there's dozens of bug tracking systems out there.

I used to read, but it's faster to just make up stuff. -- Wally
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC