internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver AT buni.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:23:30 -0500

To be fair, a lot of open source software SUCKS. A lot of closed-source
software SUCKS too. Atlassian pursues largely a "shared source" model
and has a passionate user base with a fairly extensive distribution. They
also offer free hosted service to many open source projects. Thus they are able
to reap many (but not all) of the rewards of open source without the obvious
financial disadvantages (from a corporate perspective open source is a sh*tty business
model albeit sh*tty business models make great companies...you guys heard of google..
they sell text-only ads on the Internet).
My own dislike for JIRA is that it has a somewhat cumbersome and heavy UI for
my taste and is not as easily skinned as other things. We use bugzilla which if
you look we skinned nicely: http://buni.org/bugzilla/ and is light weight. Granted
it is kinda primitive by comparison. The skinning thing is really important to me as
I think it is cheesy when you send customer (or even non-customer) to a site with
12 UI themes. Less important internally.

For the wiki - we had the same issue (easy to skin). Also I was able to hire the skinning
work out for a very low sum (globalization rocks!). However, if you want a wiki proven on
a massive scale, mediwiki is the most proven so far as scale and etc.
It is also important to me that whatever we use, initially before our corporate launch
(buni.org is the community site) and hopefully bring in revenue, is light weight and
low maintenance. Both bugzilla and mediawiki are nearly 0 maintenance and uses little in the
way of resources. For a large site, JIRA requires both more resources, care and feeding. Granted
the JIRA installs I'm accustomed to tend to be...higher volume/traffic than what I or
most of you are probably going to deal with (hibernate, JBoss, Blojsom, Apache instances are very active).
However, wikipedia.org is the biggest load test ever ;-) This isn't a result of it being FOSS, but that it
is the wiki developed by/for the mother of all wikis and one of the highest traffic sites on the net.

-Andy

Then why not run software which thousands upon thousands of volunteers
and paid employees around the world have already done extensive QA?
There are several examples that come to mind, and one of them is
mediawiki. If you're looking for something small with no RDBMS
overhead, try MoinMoin instead. If you're looking for something FOSS
that integrates with subversion, try trac. Here are some others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software

I'm sure Michael is running decent software, but he certainly did give
the impression that it's bug free, and that is at best a simple error
in wording. I'm sorry if my response came off as combative or a
challenge. My intention was to make clear that his endorsement was not
a particularly useful one for someone seriously considering paying for
the product.

--
No PST Files Ever Again
Buni Meldware Communication Suite