internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Cristóbal Palmer" <cristobalpalmer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:13:02 -0500

Now there's a good review. :)

Thanks, Michael.

On 3/5/07, Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org> wrote:

On Mar 5, 2007, at 2:13 PM, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> As a software engineer, myself, though, with almost 15 years
> of experience, and as someone who has set up and run several
> wiki setups, I have to agree with Cristobal. If you haven't yet
> found bugs in a product, then you haven't looked hard enough.
> Software is too complex to not have any bugs at all. I wish
> that were not true, but it is. Your "endorsement" however,
> glosses over that and makes it seem like it's bug free.

We use Confluence for the purpose Mr. Parker described and haven't
found any bugs. I'm sure there's a database at Atlassian full of bugs
on the product, as anyone in software knows, however, none of those
bugs are ones we reported, as compared to other products where we
have to file bugs every week just to keep it running.

We chose Confluence because at the time it was the only one that
combined the following features:

1. Hook into version control.
2. Fine-grain control over security.
3. Hierarchical refactoring.

We started using it when it first came out years ago, so other
programs may have well caught up in this regard, I don't know, as my
post wasn't a comprehensive overview of the current state of wiki-dom.

_________
I used to read, but it's faster to just make up stuff. -- Wally
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

Cristóbal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student -- ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
TriLUG Vice Chair
"There are many roads to enlightenment, and thus many roads back to
the One True Debian" --crimsun