internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Cristóbal Palmer" <cristobalpalmer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:21:15 -0500

On 3/5/07, Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org> wrote:

but in the years we've
used it have never encountered a single bug. We've filed some
requests for new features, but never a bug.

Then your company doesn't make great use of it, or you're lucky enough
to have never encountered an edge case. Neither case says that much
about the software. If you haven't used it enough to see its flaws,
you haven't used it enough to endorse it.

I'll tell you straight up that I think mediawiki's markup syntax is
dumb compared to some of the alternatives, but more people know it, so
that's not a big one.

I'll also say that the mediawiki people are still transitioning some
documentation to mediawiki.org from the meta.wikimedia site, so some
things are in multiple places or otherwise hard to follow if you don't
already know what's going on.

I should add, too, that mediawiki does _not_ by default give you
easy/sane lockdown options that are fine-grained. Eg. I want to make a
team, the foobars, that can view some pages. I _only_ want the foobars
to be able to see those pages, nobody else. You'll have to use some
major patching/extensions or run the version from subversion if you
want that. Note that it's a fairly trivial patch to lock down the
_whole_ wiki such that you control who can get an account and only
people with accounts can see things that aren't on the Main Page.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student -- ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer