internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Cristóbal Palmer" <cristobalpalmer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:09:44 -0500

On 3/5/07, Tony Spencer <tony AT tonyspencer.com> wrote:
Michael didn't make any attempt to imply it is bug free. All he said
is that he's used it for years and hasn't run into any bugs.

And...?

I appreciated his opinion on a piece of software that has worked for
him and didn't find Mr. Palmer's comments particularly helpful.

I'm sorry. Next time I'll give a more careful, thoughtful response.

Of
course Michael may not have run into an 'edge case' but I sincerely
doubt he's interested in extensive QA testing on the product.

Then why not run software which thousands upon thousands of volunteers
and paid employees around the world have already done extensive QA?
There are several examples that come to mind, and one of them is
mediawiki. If you're looking for something small with no RDBMS
overhead, try MoinMoin instead. If you're looking for something FOSS
that integrates with subversion, try trac. Here are some others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software

I'm sure Michael is running decent software, but he certainly did give
the impression that it's bug free, and that is at best a simple error
in wording. I'm sorry if my response came off as combative or a
challenge. My intention was to make clear that his endorsement was not
a particularly useful one for someone seriously considering paying for
the product.

--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student -- ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer