internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Judy Hallman <hallman AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:58:43 -0500

Depends on what you want to do with it.

http://wiki.civicrm.org/ uses Confluence, which is free for nonprofits (http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/pricing.jsp#nonprofit), but "academic" is not "nonprofit". I found it easy to use. I like the formatting codes.

http://computerselfhelp.org/ uses pmwiki. It was very easy to install and has capabilities for running multiple wikis from one installation of the software. It uses passwords for access control (no user logins), which seems fine to me for groups that will not have a lot of editors. I'm using it mostly as an experimental site for RTPnet Advisors and Board, for collecting information. Some things I don't like about it:

* I can't always get the formatting I want.

* I've lost some changes. I've gone off to look at other stuff and when I tried to come back to continue editing, the page had expired and I couldn't get back.

* The left sidebar has been hacked twice (the content was replaced)

* I don't think I've got it configured correctly.

I messed around a little with MediaWiki last year and thought it was too complex and didn't like the access controls. It IS good for large projects, like wikipedia.

There's a table comparing general and technical information for a number of wiki software packages at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software

Judy Hallman
dave.m.parker AT gsk.com wrote:

Hey everybody,

I'm considering a wiki for my department's web site at work. Easy? Difficult? Crazy? Expensive?

Please bless me with your expertise. Thanks.

- Dave P.