internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver AT buni.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wiki?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 11:09:26 -0500

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
On Mar 5, 2007, at 10:40 AM, zman wrote:

For an individual maybe, but not for a company, where the total cost of ownership is more important than the license cost. We use Atlassian's bug tracking software as well, and their software not only makes our entire company more productive, but in the years we've used it have never encountered a single bug. We've filed some requests for new features, but never a bug.
Uhh...JIRA has had some major well-known bugs from memory leaks
to connection leaks on high volume sites... Not that it is *bad* as all
software has bugs (I don't care for JIRA as a matter of preference) but
that it has not been bugless....no software is.
For software that employees use everyday I'm much more interested in efficiency and capability than price. For example, my company recently spent 6 months trying to switch to using an open source CRM system. After dedicating an engineer half time for six months posting on the forums, fixing bugs, etc, we had to pull the plug and go with a commercial system that took two days to implement. Cost of the open source package: $25,000 in salary. Cost of the commercial system: $2,000.

If you put up a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-
of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time
to dry. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

No PST Files Ever Again
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
Email, Calendaring, ease of configuration/administration
http://buni.org