internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: uzoma nwosu <uzoma.nwosu AT gmail.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:17:10 -0500

uzoma nwosu wrote:

got more computer for the money with wintel. Needless to say, I don't
have either. BTW, my friend is selling his powerbook after 7months
usage. He's in law school and they can only take their exams on a
wintel machine.

I'd have to double check, but I think that their exam program runs fast enough in virtual PC (especially if you install windows ME or windows 2000 instead of XP).
The one thing you really need a windows machine for is for gaming, and by the time you've put together a reasonable gaming system, you're way over most Mac pricepoints (~$400 for a graphics card, ~$1,000 for an Althlon FX, ~$130 for a motherboard, and you still don't have case, cooling,memory, or drives).
If you don't know what brand of memory is in your machine without looking, you don't need a PC.

Simon