internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "U. Jason Gloege Jr." <ujgloege AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:29:58 -0500

but that's the thing... if you *wanted* a dual opteron system, you
could set aside the cash [theoretically] and buy parts for it on a "a
little here, a little there" basis, and then build your machine..
sure, nobody would support the system as a whole, but i'd bet that
most of the folks on this list don't go for traditional support for
machines-as-a-whole anyway... with the macs, i could set aside a
little money here and a little money there, and by the time i had
enough to afford the G4 powerbook i'd like, they'd be out with the G7
mobile machines, and they'd be more than my total 4-year tuition at
Carolina...

for me, it's *ALL* cost. i love Macs... used 'em in school, didn't
have a problem with their service, don't have a problem with the
software aspect... but i just can't afford the hardware buy-in. i'm
sure it's great hardware... many people [including the vendor] say so.
but that doesn't make it any easier to afford.

. o O ( add to that the fact that i can't piecemeal build a mac over
time, or easily hardware upgrade one that i already have, and it's
just not feasible for me )