internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: James Dasher <jdasher AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 07:20:16 -0500

On Nov 12, 2004, at 10:37 PM, Michael Best wrote:

Basically I've never had an interest in moving to Apple and it also wouldn't
be useful in my work. Most of my customers use Windows and run Windows
servers, so the software I write primarily must work on Windows.

At work, we do a lot of GIS stuff. And the industry standard, of course, is ArcView. (Well, not "of course" for those of you who aren't dangerously obsessed with maps and mapping technology.) Which only runs on Windows.

There are other applications that run on other platforms - even some Open Source ones - but the cross-platform applications cost more, sometimes five times as much. So if you do a lot of CAD or GIS work, definitely have a Windows machine or twenty around. And throw that TCO argument out the (pardon the expression) window, too.

Btw, anybody read joelonsoftware.com?

--
James Dasher
misterdasher dot com