internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: uzoma nwosu <uzoma.nwosu AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:58:10 -0500

Okay, I'm in.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm poor. Really poor. And I
really don't see how the price point is negligible. I was drooling
over my friends powerbook last summer so I hang around the Apple store
for a few hours and get a feel of the system. They are really nice
machines. And I've always loved how their keyboards felt. But I've
also always been annoyed with the one-button mouse/touchpad--and no, I
don't want to attach an external mouse on my laptop if I don't have
to. I as a linux enthusiast, I prefer three but, I digress... So I'm
specing this 12" powerbook out and I just stopped. It was too much
effort to own one. I went to the Dell booth in the mall and priced
the beefed up 300m. I can't remember the prices but you definitely
got more computer for the money with wintel. Needless to say, I don't
have either. BTW, my friend is selling his powerbook after 7months
usage. He's in law school and they can only take their exams on a
wintel machine.

But I will argue with you toe to toe about price. It's a big reason
why a lot of folks don't own one. Ipods are also nice but I don't
need one. I'm not getting sucked into the hype. There are plenty of
cheaper players out there and when I can afford one, I'll get one.
Plus, it'll play ogg.

Between trading and upgrading with friends, I've spent $200 and have a
Dell Latitude 400MHz laptop AND have Shuttle AMD 1900 w/80Gig
harddrive and b/g wireless card. That's cheap.

I know Michael Best has a Fujitsu and I've met a couple of other
Fujitsu users around town. Have any of you looked at their laptops?
They are INCREDIBLE. I've been following the Fujitsu lists for a while
now. You should check out the P-series laptops
(http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/productoverview.do?type=NB&pgid=Notebooks#Ultra%20Portable).
They have a off switch for your wireless which saves serious power
when you don't need it. 5 hour battery--and get this, with a second
battery they get close to 11 hours. They all weigh a little over
3lbs. And tons of other good things. I'm planning on getting one
when I switch jobs. Lifebooks rock.

So macs a great. Just not for everyone like they like to believe. ;)

Uzoma