internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:15:27 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Sil Greene wrote:
(1) price. If I'm gonna shell out the dough for that machine, I want a
good one -- meaning fast, dual procs, lotsa ram -- and those aren't cheap.
When I go to configure my dream G5, I usually end up with a price close
to what I paid for my car, so I sleep on it. Needless to say, I haven't
placed that order yet.

I spec hardware on a frequent basis and the only way you'll get a compareable product is to build it yourself. On the average for what is offered I compare with Dell which would be more expensive than the Apple. The big rule when you spec your machine is to not use the Apple memory for the upgrade, go directly to Kingston or another vendor. I use Other World Computing.

(2) Apple. I'm sorry, Apple seems to do a lot of things well, but
treating customers right doesn't appear to be one of them. So when I wake
up, after sleeping on my proposed order, I remember what assholes Apple
seems to be to their customers and I decide they really don't need my
money right now.

Don't know where you get this from. I haven't been treated unfairly by Apple. Nor were any of my customers when I was a consultant. Buy the Apple Care, it's worth it. I only know of a few people that have had any bad dealings with Apple, a very small percentage. I have had numerous bad dealings with any number of "PC" companies. Gateway is on the top of that list.

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1959 GMC in Chevy Sheetmetal 1/2 Ton (235" Inline 6)
1990 Ducati 750 Sport