internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Sil Greene" <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Evan Zimmerman" <evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:35:03 -0500 (EST)

I'm actually thinking about their habit of selling upgrades, of
(apparently) not providing security fixes for older software, and of their
proprietary habits (as seen with recent iPod upgrades), as opposed to
their post-sales product support. I agree, the hardware typically is more
robust than PC hardware and it's much rarer that I hear of Macs requiring
repair. But Apple's pricing and sales practices are not consumer
friendly; from some perspectives they out-proprietize Microsoft, and
*that* is scary.

Now, all that said, I have considered picking up a used G4 machine just
for the hardware, and running some nice Linux or BSD variant on it. The
beauty of that hardware, without the painful new-hardware-price or
gawd-must-I-deal-with-Apple software. :)

--s