internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:03:54 -0500

I grew up with an assortment of computers until '88 when I entered
college and got a Mac Plus. I was a die-hard Mac guy until '96, when
the writing on the wall at work said we were going to migrate to PC's
so I bought one for home.
I still kept my PowerMac 9500 until last year. I never could afford
to upgrade to a new MAC when compared to the prices of a PC. Just
couldn't justify it. I hear about the "ROI" and I hear about the
"maintenance" but honestly, that doesn't fit with my own experience as
a geek. I personally don't have high maintenance costs on my PC, and
therefore I have no choice but to compare directly, MAC vs. PC price.
I cannot sustain having two systems - I can't afford it, and since I
work with PC's now, and I no longer have the PowerMac 9500, I am out
of the Mac scene for good. I wish that wasn't the case, as I always
loved my Mac, but the fact is that price is the issue and Apple has
ALWAYS charged a premium. Even the Power Computing clones were more
expensive than I wanted them to be.

Then there's one more issue: I remember when I did buy the PC, I
discovered the world of PC based RPG's. Baldur's Gate, BG2, Icewind
Dale, IWD2, etc. What I figured out was that although they often
eventually came out with ports or releases of these games on the Mac,
if I wanted to feed my addiction and get the game immediately, I
needed a PC. And thus, I have a PC.

Lyman