internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "U. Jason Gloege Jr." <ujgloege AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:16:13 -0500

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:44:27 -0500, Shea Tisdale <shea AT sheatisdale.com> wrote:
> U. Jason Gloege Jr. wrote:
>
> > . o O ( add to that the fact that i can't piecemeal build a mac over
> > time, or easily hardware upgrade one that i already have, and it's
> > just not feasible for me )
> >

> Someone a while back wrote a great opinion piece about this wherein he
> theorized that PCs are liked better because at our heart we are tinkerers
> and like to tinker. He postulated that as cars became less and less
> tinkerable, the PC became the outlet for many of us and that even though it
> is less user friendly and less stable than say a mac or a unix machine, that
> it is loved more because we tinker with it and establish a relationship with
> it through our tinkering.

i could buy that... i *definitely* am a tinker, and a pack rat... i've
scrounged components for years, and have managed to piecemeal upgrade
machines and work with hand-me-downs... now, this tends to happen with
PCs because they've been commoditized to the point that when a part
dies [if it's substantial enough, or if the business is big enough not
to care] the whole machine gets tossed, leaving spare parts for me to
grab... this doesn't seem to happen with the macs, i believe because
they tend to be better built machines that don't end up on that heap
unless and until the *whole* thing dies... and that's great for mac
users, but it still doesn't mitigate the pricing factor...

and yes, i know that the newer G3s, G4s and G5s are towers that you
can get into, put in new RAM or drives, and still satisfy some of that
"tinker" factor... but when Mac ended their hardware licensing
agreements back when i was in college, the option for me to
get/build/buy a Mac machine for a doable price went away.
</ramble>

ps - so, is anyone selling any old mac hardware? ;)