internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas C. Meggs" <tom AT plik.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 17:06:46 -0500

Well, that is one issue, but the real problem is running buses with street traffic. Or trains for that matter. It's just horrible. There is no way to accurately predict train times. Public transit has to be a closed system in order to run efficiently.

I'll always remember the first time I went to San Francisco and saw the electric wires overhead for buses. I just thought it looked really modern and cool.

And sometimes, funny. ;)

http://plik.net/inw/sf_bus.jpg

Regards,
Tom

Victor Minton wrote:
Hi,

I believe GM was more interested in replacing trolleys with buses, rather
then selling cars during the great Depression.. Buses were perceived to be
more flexible, more modern and did not require dedicated lanes in urban
areas. The overhead electric wires were considered eyesores as well.

Different times,

Vic Minton