internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Edward Wesolowski <ids AT idisplay.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:21:25 -0500

>I believe GM was more interested in replacing trolleys with buses, rather then selling cars during the great Depression.
Alfred Sloan (then CEO of GM) just wanted what was best for GM. Doesn't the "Sloan Foundation" now fund programs on PBS about understanding technology? I wonder what AS would have done if he thought auto technology would have lead to sprawl?
Ed Wesolowski

At 04:48 PM 1/7/03 -0500, you wrote:
Hi,

I believe GM was more interested in replacing trolleys with buses, rather
then selling cars during the great Depression.. Buses were perceived to be
more flexible, more modern and did not require dedicated lanes in urban
areas. The overhead electric wires were considered eyesores as well.

Different times,

Vic Minton