internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] New Urbanism
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 19:47:31 -0500

At 1/7/2003 01:26 PM, you wrote:

Imagine if you could get on a train in downtown Chapel Hill and wind up in
Raleigh less then 15 minutes later? Of course it would be even better if
Raleigh had half way decent land use. ;)

But that doesn't count the time it takes to get to the train station. The time that it takes to wait on the train, and the time it takes to walk from the train station to where ever you are going in Raleigh.

And how often would you expect the train to run? Every hour? Maybe every half hour? And how late at night do the trains run? And if it's raining I have to walk to and from the train station in the rain. And how much is it going to cost me?

And if the train gets there in 15 minutes, then I bet there isn't a single stop along the way, or maybe one at the most. So chances are that you'll be getting off the train quite a ways from where you want to go. Or if there are lots of convenient train stations along the way, then I bet it's not going to get you there quicker than a car.

Just my opinion...

Calvin Powers current events
mailto:calvin AT cspowers.com cultural phenomena
http://www.cspowers.com/ true stories
"The revolution will not be televised." http://www.StuckInTraffic.com/