homestead - Re: [Homestead] Irony

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Irony
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 09:12:53 -0800

You're use to the politics of the later half of the 1900s. Early politics included polticians dueling, standing on opposing street corners and screaming at each other, having people in the audience egg them. And so forth and so on.

I think folks who are so sensitive and touchy about anyone asking questions or calling a politician, including the president, on his/her b.s., should nightly read the entire quote from Roosevelt:

"The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else." Theodore Roosevelt, Kansas City Star, 1918

Lynda
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt, 1918.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

It's a real shame. I did see Wilson being interviewed and you could hear the
crack in his voice.
Now I recall people hooping it up when Bush got the show thrown at him. At
least that was not done by a US citizen. I thought that that
was definitely a punishable offense.

Decorum is a thing of the past. Politics have always been nasty, but at
least politicians tried to appear above it all and people in polite company
tried to stay away from politics. Now we roll in the mud proudly.

The Internet has created a new medium that's like fuel to a fire for these
rumors and crazy ideas, it's a shame, the Internet was such a great thing 10
years ago.

I remember days when I read more treads than I deleted from this list. I
even remember when people saved treads form this list as something useful.