homestead - Re: [Homestead] Irony

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Irony
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:50:21 -0700 (PDT)

From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
Decorum is a thing of the past. Politics have always been nasty, but at
least politicians tried to appear above it all and people in polite company
tried to stay away from politics.
================

Well, around here everyone has stayed very civilized at all events I've been
to.  Although there were murmurs of "liar" today that did not go unnoticed,
not in a bad way, but in a real wake up assessment that so many, actually
everyone, echoed the same opinion.  And this wasn't on the issue from last
night, and had nothing to do with Obama.  It was the general sentiment that
everyone believes the government is lying - about everything.

I went to a political meeting today at the courthouse/ commission chambers.
Of course, I found out at the last minute last night.

Apparently shortly after I arrived, the police were called to keep an eye on
me since I had some posters with me.  They were strictly educational posters,
but the Clerk I was asking directions of didn't know that and I saw the
concern on her face when she pointed the way and noticed the posters.  Some
10 minutes after I arrived, 2 cops showed up, one positioned himself directly
behind me, one positioned himself just to my left.  And since I have
requested police protection in Court from someone in the past, and this was
the stance/position those officers took against the potential threat I needed
protection from, I knew immediately that I was the one considered the threat.
  I sure would love to pull the communications tapes just out of curiosity.

I think the cops figured out pretty quick I wasn't a terrorist threat though,
and before I knew it they were letting me talk often, and on multiple
subjects.  Confirming what some others were saying, correcting misinformation
when I knew it was misinformation for a fact.  Local business leaders started
openly asking me if I knew who they were, and their attention completley
turned away from those up front !  (That in itself was weird, as those up
front didn't stop me.)  Nope, I informed them I rarely go to town and just to
get groceries when I do, the bottom line is they introduced themselves I'm
this and I'm that, and what you are saying (about their industry) is the
truth.  I even touched on police officers etc.  Later the cop behind me
tapped my shoulder, stuck out his hand and shook it hard.  Wow !  He didn't
say a word, but I knew that he was silently agreeing with me, and it was
probably even inappropriate for him to shake my hand under
the circumstances.

And then my personal zinger.  Some man made a comment, and it opened the door
wide for me, and I asked to speak up front and address the issue as the
subject was what I really wanted to discuss.  Those up front said yes, but
the cop in the back exited back stage immediately and quickly fetched someone
from local government.  Mayor? Commissioner?  County Manager?  County
Attorney?  I have absolutely no idea.  Definitely somebody, somebody that
wanted to listen, but for political reasons couldn't take a copy of my
presentation.

And bigger surprise, they gave me the podium without a clue as to what was on
my posters or what I was going to actually talk about.  Ha!  Five minutes
later, I got a standing ovation and half the people were calling for me to
run for office.  What office? I dunno !............. but this was a State
level meeting......... so I have a feeling that those running the show must
have been surprised at that response.  I sure was, although this has happened
before in other places.  They did take my handouts (which matched the posters
and my bullet points).  And at the close the aid called me up to ask more
questions.

So, I finally did something besides can food........... And now my voice is
totally hoarse... LOL.   My fingers, however, aren't.  :-)

I'm still chuckling though, because by nature, I'm a total hermit and enjoy
being a hermit.