homestead - Re: [Homestead] Irony

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Irony
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:13:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> The cure is for CONgress to STOP using FORCE against
> hospitals - allow hospitals to deny treatment to illegals
> (unless the illegal shows up with cash in pocket, or some
> means of paying the individual hospital will accept).  Let
> hospitals decide individually how many charity cases they
> can handle, if any.

How does the hospital to know if the person is an illegal immigrant?
Lack of documentation doesn't mean they aren't a citizen. If there is
paperwork would the hospital staff be required to check the validity?
I also believe that the only charity work a hospital is required to do is to
stabilize the patient enough to allow them to be moved safely to other
treatment. This was an issue during "jim crow" when blacks might die because
they couldn't find anyone to treat them.
Van Dell