homestead - Re: [Homestead] Irony

  • From: Gil White <gil.white AT xplornet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Irony
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:33:18 +0000 (GMT)

I can't help but wonder what kind of furor there would have been if Obama had
responded in the same way our Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau had answered one
of his hecklers in parliament back in the 70's ( prime minister from
1968-1984 ).

Pierre was fluent in both French and English and taught an entire generation
of english Canadians the phrase "mange la merde" which if you don't
understand French involves suggesting that someone consume large quantity of
manure.

The sad thing is that at least on this side of the border politics has become
more tame since then.

Gil