homestead - Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:15:47 -0800

Sorry, Drew, but that isn't how Infant mortality in the U.S. is counted. Lots of folks get confused on this issue and the Right to Lifers have a hay day with the stats. There are two types of abortions -- spontaneous and induced. Spontaneous abortions are used in the mortality rates. Induced are listed as abortions.

Nor are you correct on the hospitals counting deaths that occur within the hospital. If a patient comes in with a stroke and they acquire a staf infection and then die from a second massive CVA, then they don't have to count the staf infection as a cause of death. If they come in with a hang nail and die from staf, then they have to count the staf infection. Regardless, they have to count that the patient acquired a staf infection while in the hospital as part of their monthly QA and that is reviewed with the yearly summary that is provided to the feds.

Your numbers on breast cancer are also off. The rate in the U.S. and Italy are the same, 20.7. France's rate is lower at 19.7.

Overall cancer death rates (per 100,000) are: Italy: 418, U.S. 321.9 and France with 286.1. Prostate cancer deaths are somewhat higher in Europe but not because of care. The studies show that men in Europe are more likely to wait longer to see a physician and less likely to agree to some of the things that are done to save lives.

And, people leave the U.S. in droves to get surgery in other countries. India being one of them. There are even companies that specialize in arranging it like WorldMed Assist. Blue Cross and Blue Shield will even cover the costs out of the country. Companion Global Healthcare is another that works on the outsourcing of healthcare.

Most folks go to India for major surgery. Followed by Mexico, Thailand, Singapore and Costa Rica.

BTW, it can take up to 3 months here in the U.S. to get an insurance company to approve an MRI! Ah, I know. That's how long we had to wait for youngest to get her's.

And I have a friend who had a tumor in her leg. She couldn't get it removed unless she put the money up front. She had to mortgage her house! $60,000 and then they wouldn't do aftercare unless she paid in advance!

My speciality was insurance and believe me, the care here in the U.S. is slim to none unless you have someone as persistant as an angry bulldog working in the authorization office of your doctor's office or hospital you plan on using! The stonewalling and general thick headed stupidity of a whole lot of the folks working at insurance companies is nothing short of unbelieveable! It takes a lot of work to get beyond the lay person you first get on the phone and then you get a burnt out RN or a 9-5 MD who probably graduated last in his class and couldn't get work anywhere else!

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

----- Original Message ----- From: <DSanner106 AT aol.com>

These stats are so messed up they are meaningless. We just sent back our
french exchange student yesterday, had his brother with us last year. His
mother is a doctor, the father works for a major drug company in France. They
tell a very different story and are jealous of our system. Those countries
above us have govt controlled systems and the govt. issuing stats. For
example, do you know we are one of the only countries that includes abortion as
infant mortality. take that alone off and we jump to the top. If a patient
checks into a hospital with one of a number of life threatening
conditions, the hospital does not have to count his death against the hospital
statistics. What my French friends told me is that simple math will tell you that
either hundreds of thousands of Frenchmen disappear off the planet every
year, or the mortality rate is way wrong. If you are diagnosed with breast
cancer in France you are 5 times more likely to die from it, same for
Prostate Cancer. Heart problems are even more skewed. People don't leave the US
in droves to seek surgery in canada or europe, but check the number of
canadians and europeans coming here for medical treatment. A head injury if
thought minor gets a cat scan in 5 weeks, if death is likely, 5 days...... we
get one in hours here. Stats should never be blindly believed.

Drew

In a message dated 7/24/2009 12:12:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,