homestead - Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:39:50 -0700 (PDT)

The Right to Live to me simply means someone else doesn't have the right to
kill you.
Hence, the laws against and penalties for the various degrees of murder.

The Right to Live however, does not guarantee that you won't die of disease,
accident or even murder.

Now as to insurance,,, you have the right to enter into a contract with an
insurance company,,,, and the terms of that contract rule.  My biggest
complaint about that is you don't get to see the fine print until after you
hand over the money.  You just get to see the bullet sales points of the
policy.

You also have the right to choose NOT enter into a contract with an insurance
company.  A lot of people choose not to buy health insurance because they
can't afford it, dont' want it, or feel they shouldn't have to pay for it.
Then they also complain when they don't have it for whatever reason and then
want their health care but don't want to pay for it either.

As to the acne example.  Was it specified that reporting that med was a
requirement of the contract?  If so, they have a point - like it or not.  It
isn't their fault the person took a drug at age 14, and apparently is one of
those excluded items.  It isn't their fault the person chose to purchase a
policy (themselves or thru their employer, which employees do not have to
accept), that excluded coverage of a condition related to that drug.

If however, this is not in the fine print at the time the policy was
purchased, or as later amended, the person that took the drug has a point of
action (or their heirs).

If it was in the contract, sounds like a class action floating around out
there somewhere that shows that drug causes cancer, hence a case against the
drug co.

I really think that people don't understand that insurance is a contract, and
that the fine print needs to be read.  (Not only on health, but cars, homes,
etc).  The most effective way to stop the b.s. would be for everyone to GO ON
STRIKE and drop their health insurance policies.... you'd see real health
care reform instantly.