homestead - Re: [Homestead] ???

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ???
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 10:24:04 -0800

At 3/3/2009 04:57 AM,Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
> That's interesting, Lynn. The price of food in the supermarket here is
> rising higher and higher--specials are few and unimpressive. Financially,
> things are tough here in Florida. They're closing schools and laying off
> teachers and administrators and custodians, and that's just to try to meet
> this fiscal year's education shortfall. It's the third such cut this year
> for education.

I wonder what other people are seeing. I suspect that the places that had
the biggest 'bubbles' are the ones doing the worst now.

Food prices have been going up out here for the last year or so (I usually notice the 10% jump) and the Seattle layoffs seem to be in the news every week. We are 100+ miles from Seattle and 20+ from the I-5 corridor so the job loss has not gotten here enough so I can see it walking down the street. We did get a letter from the credit union yesterday talking about strong cash reserves but a few real estate losses from folks who lost their jobs.
There are still a lot of houses for sale and the prices have not yet gone down much at all.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA