homestead - Re: [Homestead] ???

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ???
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:58:55 -0500

I have a few apple trees, but they aren't producing very well. There are lots of abandoned orchards here, so I can go collect apples, but since they aren't tended, they aren't the best...small and buggy. I have 2 pear trees that produce all the pears I can use (I have a pantry full of pear butter). One peach tree...not nearly enough; I love peaches. I have a small one planted, but I'm thinking of buying another large potted one locally that will produce next year. I also have the figs in the greenhouse, and I just ordered a Lapin cherry (hardy sweet cherry...hard to find).

What sort of fruit trees grow in your climate? I'm sure apples wouldn't. I love figs, and I always thought date palms would be fun. Did you see the youtube video that someone posted about Greening the Desert? Lots of posibilities...that kind of greening probably cools and humidifies the whole area, allowing a wider variety of plants.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA
----- Original Message ----- From: "bobf" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>