homestead - Re: [Homestead] ???

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ???
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:16:58 -0500

I haven't had any problem with seed companies, it is seed in the local
stores that is scarce.
We have good friends who are teachers in the next county and they are
worried of being laid off. They still have a mortgage.
Food prices here are still okay, milk is normally over $4 a gallon but I
found a sale for $2.59. Gasoline prices are creeping up.
Our county, like Drew's, has seen reverse migration. The larger
employers in this area are carpet mills, and when they shut down and lay
off, the Hispanics move on. I know that two of my former co-workers
have returned to Central America. My good friend Ramon is being
punished for crossing the border illegally and cannot come back for 10
years. He did cross illegally, but then went to immigration and tried
to stay. He lost the fight. His wife became a citizen when she was 5
when her family emigrated Mexico and his year old daughter was born
here. He so wants change for his family that his wife and daughter now
live in Yuma, while he lives just across the border. It is the best
they can do. Ramon is a good man, and anyone on this list would be
happy to have him as a neighbor. I think of him almost like a son.
Anyway, stores are closing left and right in Northwest GA. DH explained
to me that few are worried about the economy because many don't have
mortgages. He is one of only two at his employer that actually has a
mortgage. It is common in this area for grandparents to leave the farm
to their grandchildren, so a lot of folks have a house and a couple of
acres, having sold off the bulk of the whatever land they inherited. It
is still mostly an agricultural area (beef cattle and poultry houses),
so folks still have the 'I'll put in a garden' mindset.

I'm glad Lynn, that the economy isn't really affecting your lifestyle
either. DH works on commission only, and people are not bringing their
cars in as much as they simply can't afford having work done. This has
cut our paycheck almost in half, and we were under the national average
to begin with. It isn't affecting our lifestyle because we were already
living on a slim budget, but what it has done is to make me worry about
the future, wonder how long this might last, determine if things are
getting better or worse. I look around, I read the news, I read opinion
pieces from all the around the world trying to foresee what might be
ahead. I do this so that I can hopefully make the right choice with any
extra money I might have.

I need to know that things are gonna look up,
Because I feel us drowning in a sea spilled from a cup.
I won't give up, if you don't give up..
(from Calling All Angels by Train)

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

So I shrug and my life goes on, same as it always has. I haven't even
noticed the "seed shortage" everyone is talking about. I've planned my biggest garden yet, and have gotten all the seeds I ordered (more than $150 worth, including a few fruit and nut trees, coming later), from about 5 different companies.

Lynn Wigglesworth Tioga Co. PA

--
I am having an out-of-money experience.
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/