homestead - Re: [Homestead] ???

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ???
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 11:49:47 -0500

But, no one is completely immune. What if a good portion of your access to income went away -- that is happening to people, already.

In this I am lucky. My ex (source of child support) works for Amtrak...it's one of Obama and Biden's favorite corporations, and will no doubt receive a large chunk of Obama's make-work money. That source of income is safe.

I'm still trying to get the farm producing more income. I'm hoping that the economic crisis pushes the country the way I've wanted it to go...less globalization, more attention to local goods and services. This country has to start making real 'things' again, not just push papers around and depend on the rest of the world to provide all our 'real' goods. Some of the problems-- higher food prices, less imported food, California farms without water...sorry to say, but the worse the rest of the world looks, the better my position looks. But as you say, with the government mucking around in the economy, who knows what will happen?

Then there is always the natural gas industry...once spring comes, they will be putting in a pipeline less than a mile from my farm; the wells are already there, capped, waiting for the pipeline. When the price of oil (and thus natural gas) goes up again, they will drill more gas wells, and I could "hit the gas well lottery" as they say around here. It's the highest money-making 'crop' a farm can produce..as in "set for life" kind of money. I'm not holding my breath on that one, but it's nice to think about what I'd do with an obscene amount of money :-)

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA