homestead - Re: [Homestead] ???

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ???
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:09:45 -0800 (PST)

yes, the video Warren posted. That was very interesting. But, out here, a
lot of desert ecologists would be against 'greening' the desert. It is one
of those eco-chain arguments.

Peaches grow here, (Wilcon AZ grows apples, differentr elevation/winter
climate). A lot of people pay big money to have their date palms removed.
They can be messy in and of themselves and the d*mn pigeons that crowd around
the date palms make them less than desitrable.

Most everyone I know has citrus and/or figs, with large peach orchards
formerly (now red-tiled-roofed, ugly-as-hell subdivisions)on the outskirts of
the city.

I had my forty year old fig tree removed when I had other work done; it was a
hard decision and I intended to plant another, but never did. By the way, it
is a losing battle with the birds over figs, even with bird netting, out here.

I also had dwarf peach trees when I first moved here, planted, them the first
year, They are now gone, too; and when I did have them, once again , the
birds got most of the fruit.

People have exotics here; tropicalslike bananas etc; but the misting ,
shading , and watering, in the summer, make it tougher.