homestead - Re: [Homestead] ???

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ???
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 07:57:30 -0500

That's interesting, Lynn. The price of food in the supermarket here is
rising higher and higher--specials are few and unimpressive. Financially,
things are tough here in Florida. They're closing schools and laying off
teachers and administrators and custodians, and that's just to try to meet
this fiscal year's education shortfall. It's the third such cut this year
for education.

I wonder what other people are seeing. I suspect that the places that had the biggest 'bubbles' are the ones doing the worst now. We never had any kind of bubble, and have been in a recession for years, so a recession in the larger world is barely noticed here.

We have two supermarkets here, and they are in a price war. There have been some layoffs at Trucklite, which supplies the auto industry, but on the other hand, they are revamping the little local 'mall' that had been mostly shut down for years. They've expanded it (added 2 new stores)...Citifinance moved into one store, and something I've never heard of, but sounds like a non-profit group moved into the other. Still a lot of empty space in that mall, though...even the video store closed.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA