homestead - Re: [Homestead] ???

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ???
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 07:55:26 -0800 (PST)

Lynn writes: >>>>Yet another reason to save seeds. And to be in a position
where you don't
need to buy things.<<<<<<
 Exactly.....prices on a lot of things are low now........ time to stock
up... LOL.

From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:03:02 -0500

> What seeds from the nursery do you save, by the way?

I haven't saved much seed in the past; you have to isolate from other
varieties, unless you are purposely crossing them. I grow so many different
tomatoes, for example, in close proximity that they could cross. Not that
that is always a bad thing, but you never know what you will get. This year
I got open pollinated varieties and plan to isolate some (just put bags over
them during blooming to make sure they are only pollinated by the one I
want) and save some seeds. You can save any type of OP seed this way.

I don't believe that seeds will become too expensive, or unavailable as some
say, but I'd like to save money and start developing varieties adapted to
my farm...you do that by picking the 'best' for several generations, saving
seed, and perpetuationg those genes. I've done that with garlic (cloves, not
seed), and I get consistently large bulbs now. I plan to save tomato, winter
squash, beans, corn (I grow some OP and some hybrid...I prefer hybrid sweet
corn), and maybe other seeds. I know that.especially with tomatoes, even if
I find something I like (right now Rose and Morgage Lifter are my
favorites), I'll always be trying new varieties.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA