homestead - Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:16:07 -0500

Do you remember when you noticed the effect of playing in the dirt? When
did you decide that you were headed back to the land?

I'm not Bev, but I grew up in a rural area. Not on a farm, but we had a horse and a large garden. Something that always evokes memories in me is the smell of tomato plants after a rain; the tomatoes were usually planted under my bedroom window. We lived on a river, and I spent my whole youth swimming, fishing, crabbing, and playing in the mud and the forest...back in the days when parents didn't 'protect' kids from such things. That peace and freedom and slow pace of life was 'normal' to me.

Then I went to college, and lived in the city. It was interesting, but never 'normal'. After a while I needed the peace and quiet and freedom of living in the country again. So here I am.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA