homestead - Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:45:01 -0500

Bev,

Do you remember when you noticed the effect of playing in the dirt? When
did you decide that you were headed back to the land?

The only people I remember reading to me are school teachers and Captain
Kangaroo, and they never read anything beyond picture books. I was an early
and avid reader, and checked Heidi out of the school library (on many
occasions). The edition had one color plate and line drawings opening each
chapter. Just enough fuel for the imagination... Of course, I didn't
realize the probable effect of the book (and others like it--I also loved
Robinson Crusoe and Swiss Family as a girl) until much later. I didn't
intend to end up on the land, but found myself there early in my marriage.
I thought I belonged in the hustle of downtown. Visiting my maternal
grandparents' rural home (garden, cows, etc) had been a bore in my youth.
Silly me.

you wrote:

**Yes, I KNOW many of us were born independent and stubborn. I'm just not
sure that that trait affects whether or not one sees a hostile universe
or a friendly universe.

You're quite probably right. I've never had to deal personally with wicked
or violent people. I'm glad you found a place to shake off the hostile
energy. : )

Cathy