homestead - Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:46:44 -0500

Lynn, was your childhood 'normal'? I have a theory that people who grew
up in households where there was minimal dysfunction generally have
fewer fears about things, whereas people like me who grew up in abusive
households never quite process it all well, end up having scary dreams,
and then of course that affects their waking life and adulthood.

My childhood was relatively normal. My father was a screamer, and was disappointed that he got two girls instead of sons, but wasn't physically abusive. I didn't feel particularly wanted, and could never be 'good enough' for my father (there's a load of baggage), but I always had plenty and felt safe.

Was it Einstein who said that the most important decision you'll ever make is whether you live in a friendly or a hostile universe? I believe that the universe is neither friendly nor hostile; it is our attitude that makes it one or the other. My universe is decidedly friendly...it's a much nicer place to live.

Lynn Wigglesworth