homestead - Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:29:21 -0800

I think we need another name for Bob's kind of "survivalist." Back in the 70s I knew, and was recruited by, a bunch of *real* survivalists. They weren't about fear, hoarding, guns and ammunition. They were about being able to survive using their own talents and the talents of those they surrounded themselves with. Yes, they had guns, to hunt. They asked my best friend and I to join them and if we weren't interested in joining them (we weren't), they wanted us to teach them the stuff we knew -- canning, weaving, dying using plants, etc., candle making, soap making, butchering, gardening, etc (which we did for about a year). The guns they knew as most of the men were retired military (Green Berets, Special Forces and a couple of SEALS). They got a local farrier to teach them how to shoe a horse and how to work in metals. Terra and I hooked them up with a friend who was a potter and he taught them how to find the right clays and how to throw dishes and bowls. I got one of Elsie Allen's granddaughters to show them how to find and cure and weave baskets.

They bought a couple of thousand acres and moved up in the Sierra foothills. Last I heard, they were living completely off the grid, doing sustenance gardening and living off the land.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

THAT is the difference between a homesteader and a survivalist. You live in
an ugly world, Bob.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA