homestead - Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:16:40 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

You are the one who keeps bringing up the "apocalyptic future". Your posts often speak of guns and violence, full of anger and fear. I've never seen the world that way. I lived in a ghetto and went to graduate school in north Philadelphia (Temple University), the worst neighborhood in the city. I had night classes and took public transportation alone. In 53 years, I've never owned a gun and never felt the need for one. To me, the world has never been a scary place.

I wish I could say that. For me, the world has been a scary place since I was a little kid. I do believe that I live far away from most people to gain a sense of security that I don't feel living amongst others in society.
Lynn, was your childhood 'normal'? I have a theory that people who grew up in households where there was minimal dysfunction generally have fewer fears about things, whereas people like me who grew up in abusive households never quite process it all well, end up having scary dreams, and then of course that affects their waking life and adulthood.

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge