homestead - [Homestead] Mama will provide - was: Bev's realization

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Mama will provide - was: Bev's realization
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:33:19 EST

> > But
> for me it is more than just people...the natural world can be very
> hostile...if I decided to spend the night outside tonight, I'd probably
> be dead in the morning....The weather is notoriously hostile.

It was six degrees here last night. If I had had occasion to spend the night
outside, I'd have gone to where I know there are some huge dead white pines
that have recently fallen. I'd break up a big pile of firewood (in a pinch
you
can do this by dropping a big stones on the dry tree branches) and made a
great roaring fire of the resinous branches and had a fine old time in its
comfort for the night.

The same universe that breathed out this 6 degree cold air also grew the pine
tree and laid it dried and resinous at my feet.

What might appear as hostilities of the universe are trifles compared to all
the marvelous things it provides.

In the operetta "Once on This Island" the heroine Ti'Moune sets out after a
hurricane to cross the island. Four of the story's cental characters are
Voudoun gods including Asaka, the Mother Earth goddess.

So this song comes as Ti'Moune finds herself in the woods after the storm:

But on this island the earth sings
As soon as the storm ends.
And as Ti Moune set out she realized
She was walking with old friends.

The birds...
Coo coo, coo coo, coo coo coo
Coo coo, coo coo, coo coo coo

Sha sha sha-aah
The trees...
Sha sha sha-aah

Ba-oom boom boom
The frogs!
Ba-oom boom boom

And the breezes!
Oooooooooh
Oooooooooh...

Ti Moune lost all her fear.
She knew Asaka was near!

(ASAKA)
You've never been away from the sea, child.
You're gonna need a helping hand.
A fish has got to learn to swim on land!

Walk with me, little girl,
Don't you be afraid
Follow me, little girl
Let me be your guide