homestead - Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:33:42 -0600

Thanks Bob. You know I'm not judging you, I see you as one looking at all sides of things trying to engage us all in thinking, which is very good. Bev does this too. We all want comfort in this world, but when it comes down to it I think most will adapt, and learn from it. I've been through some very bad personal times in my life, but I've never let it define me, never let myself slip into victim mentality. A few will fall into this mire, but I believe most will buck up and get on with life.

I know a lot of people on this list did note vote for Obama, and feel that hope is not substance for politics, but it certainly carried me through a lot, and I believe it will carry people through future hard times. I think of teen suicides and of these recent men who are killing their entire families and then themselves because of the economy--it always comes down to them feeling things are hopeless. Or in the case of the latter also defining themselves by their money and pride.

I think about all the wonderful times in wonderful places with wonderful people that have come my way after hard times. It's the adventure, the not-knowing that sometimes make life exciting. Like hiking and wondering what is around the bend. One thing life has taught me is 99% of the time nothing is ever as bad as you think it will be. Even when it is, sometimes the change brings something more wonderful that was hiding behind that thing, just waiting for a void to fill.

The worst thing about worry is it can do your health in. Potentially it could kill you before the feared hordes descend on your homestead. When I was very young at the university, I used to worry my boyfriend at the time would fall in love with someone else. Jealousy consumed my thoughts. One day, on a break, I walked to a store and was so consumed I did not see the large tree limb at head height over the sidewalk. I woke up in the university hospital with a concussion. The boyfriend was not worth keeping, as it turned out, but I learned any bad situation wasn't worth banging my head on a tree. I gave up jealousy then and there, and attracted more trustworthy people in my life as a result. Hope just feels a lot better than worry.

--Sage

bobf wrote:
Sage , 'a very eloquent and thoughtful post. You do know when I refernce you
all as being 'hard' or 'tough', it is a compliment. I think what the women
on this list do, themselves , is amazing. But, it makes me smile when
someone says something like they compared the upkeep of their beau to the
upkeep of a horse :-)

For whatever reason, aside from my poor writing skills, some people have an
image of me that isn't close to reality. But, that is okay; kindness always
wins out in the end.

When you say "most women" are like you, I don't agree, though. Most women , as well as most men, just want their comfortable place in the material world -- at least that is my present jaded observation. That isn't to say that makes anyone good or bad, it is just an observation.
I wish more of you kept blogs. I read your's and Roxanne's, regularly.

I am not as optimistic about people working together as you seem to be, but I hope you are right. I hope even the least ominous scenario that I am concerned about, never comes to pass.
Anyway, thanks for helping me back to the right side of the path,
sage.........bob