homestead - Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:44:32 -0600

Bullets are not sustainable, as they found out at the Alamo. But a tended garden is. I will reach out my hand before I reach for a gun. When I experienced personal financial hard times in my youth there were a lot of strangers that helped me out, fixed things, cooked me dinner, gave me cash, filled my gas tank, etc. They didn't want repayment, they just wanted me to do the same for others when I reached a point where I could. This is a big part of our Healthy Harvest, a giving back, teaching our community for free how to garden. I do not worry about going hungry.

--Sage
www.friocanyonhealthyharvest.blogspot.com

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
My thought is if city people are starving and come to rural areas
looking for food, then they could be housed and put to work farming for
everyone's benefit. Even my small place could house another family.
During the Depression when my grandfather was out of work my mother's
large family was housed in a relative's barn. In the two back-to-back
500 year floods I've been through here I was amazed at how well
community worked together for common good in a crisis, when they don't
necessarily do that on a day to day basis. I am hearing the same from
friends in their ice storms. I think there will be a lot of compassion
if things get really bad.

That's my hope for hard times. A community pulling together, and I think my community would all pitch in. If I thought I'd have to hide alone in a bunker and shoot anyone who approached my property....well, that's a world I'd prefer not to live in.

Lynn Wigglesworth