homestead - Re: [Homestead] Flax...was..Update on health

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Flax...was..Update on health
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 23:21:07 -0600

Bev, I make a great Borsht...brought it to the birthday party of someone from Siberia once and they said it was the best! I bet the pudding will work with thawed frozen fruit. Yeah, it's really weird how gelatinous ground flax is. You'd never think a crunchy little seed could become pudding, but it does. Somewhere I have a recipe for fruit bars using ground flax, too...I'll see if I can find it.

I may have told you I once had some benign tumors that caused me to lose a lot of blood over enough time that I got used to being anemic when I should have just been dead. While all this was going on, and not yet knowing the problem, I began to seriously crave raisin cinnamon bread. I mean to tell you for weeks I was eating two loaves a day, wiping out a store's entire shelf of it in one trip each week. The surgery stopped the blood loss, and afterwards I stopped craving the bread. Later I found out cinnamon stops internal bleeding and we know raisins are a good source of iron. This is when I began to realize we need to listen to our cravings.

There very well may be a reason you are craving all these foods!

--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:
Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
Bev,

You can make a pudding by griding a couple tablespoons of flax seed
and adding them with a little fresh fruit (banana, kiwi,
strawberries, etc) in a blender, sweetened if you like with a little
honey, a little lemon juice and vanilla for extra flavor. I let them
set up in the fridge in individual cups and garnish with some lemon
peel freshly grated. Because the seeds are so gelatinous they make a
good pudding and once you get the hang of it since there' no cooking
involved you can knock out an elegant, healthful dessert in no time
at all.

--Sage

Gelatinous? That sounds very good, Sage. I don't have any fresh fruit,
but I do have frozen fruit so I am going to try it using frozen peaches.
I never thought of using flax in things other than what I already do. I
can't wait to try some of these things. We've been trying a lot of new
stuff lately, and so far, we have diversified our diet well. They say
your taste changes every 7 years...it must be true. I can't believe the
things I eat/crave...raw onions!!!! Beets!!! I've gone from craving
guacamole to craving onions!! I barely ate cooked onions before!
Yesterday, I caught myself drooling over borscht recipes...Borscht!!!

Bev