homestead - Re: [Homestead] Update on health: turmeric and milk thistle

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Update on health: turmeric and milk thistle
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 16:10:48 -0500

sjc wrote:

If I just said "with fats", I offer my apologies, because what he actually said was more along the line of 'heated with fats, as in the
dietary usage'.
I think you did say that, my bad, but I did get the right impression,
that he was referring to the cooking spice, not some store-bought
extract. When I cook with curry/turmeric, I usually do use butter or
olive oil, so that should cover it.
I got the impression he was talking about actually heating the turmeric, along with other spices in the dish, in oil/fat before adding the whole of that (paste? sauce?) into the dish;;;;

It makes sense that oils and heating would 'activate' the turmeric, but
I can't see how preparing a heated paste like mix of oil and turmeric
and then adding it would be different biophysically than adding it along
with butter and other ingredients and then baking the dish? Thinking
chicken and rice here...

On a similar vein, I learned yesterday that paprika is another spice
that must be heated to release flavor. When you use it unheated, like on
deviled eggs, you are only getting the coloring, not the flavoring.
Like Lynda mentioned, it makes sense that the pepper family is heated
with oil.

I know it was used topically as an antiseptic poultice, often mixed with
other herbs. I know it is considered a condiment. Would the poultice
be used on inflamed joints? If so, that would almost seem to be
wasteful of it's systemic anti-inflammatory properties.
He didn't mention using in on the skin but don't discount the skin as a route of delivery; it is the largest organ in the body, by weight, and a very efficient method of delivery. As soon as something is accepted/moved by the skin there are capillaries waiting to take it up, not it's in the blood system and ready to go. For example, many, many people get into trouble using OTC cortisone creams, literally overdosing themselves on steroids.

Great point.
You know, I got so involved in all of this that I had forgotten that it
could very well go through the skin, especially with a carrier oil.
I was thinking more for like cuts or abrasions.

I'll look forward to learning more from your Asian relations..

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge