homestead - Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was british- now Bev's realization
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 00:05:23 -0500

bobf wrote:
Bev, what You wrote below is descriptive of sudden personal
enlightenment.

I would not say it was sudden, though.
I grew up with a garden in a very frugal family. I was changing brakes on a VW bus when I was ten, for example. While my family lived in suburban Atlanta, I had relatives who farmed, and we visited them several times a year. There were influences, in other words. At the time, I just saw those influences not as a choice that someone made, but as a statement of lifestyle...they lived on a farm just as I lived in a neighborhood...it was all part of the variety of things. In a similar way, I was always environmentally minded, but never thought about 'living green'. I just think there were a confluence of ideas that this list put together for me, and suddenly, I had a solution to the dreams that haunted me, but that solution also felt right.

The game really is rigged. To teach a child, today, about honesty
and good will; forgiveness and trust is to turn that child into an
easy mark. Those lessons should certainly be taught but with the
proviso that they only apply with family and the familie's immediate
circle of friends. Outside that circle they should be taught the way
the world really works.

I know you are not alone with that belief, but I am not that cynical yet. It is a crazy, idiotic, mixed up world, but I still think you have to teach a child to do the right thing by people, even if they are outside the 'circle of trust'.<g>

There are pitiful souls hoping that everything crashes, so that they
will finally, for once in their mediocre life, be right. But that is
a fool's dream. There will be no safety except in might, just as it
has always been. Go visit Atlanta on a Friday night, walk the
streets -- you are looking at the future.

My best friend wants to introduce me to Ikea in downtown Atlanta on Thursday. I have no interest in going.
As to hoping that everything crashes, I do know that many 'survivalists' seem to want that, but I never did. I was truly afraid that "whatever" would happen before I was prepared. I certainly never wanted to be right, because life wasn't a bowl of cherries in my dreams. It was more like Hell, pain and suffering-not something you wish for.

People say "well, I 'll stay here protected by this silly hill, or
I'll buy tons of ammo and beans. These are the thoughts of foolish
men

It is an illusion, really.
All the guns in the world won't stop a virus or a bacterial plague. All the food is worthless once irradiated. All the preparations are meaningless if the rest of your family is gone.

Me; if things become that bad; I'll join up with the roughest group I
can find, cheer right along with the leader as they pillage, and one
night cut his g-dd-mn throat and take his place.

That's horrible, Bob. I wouldn't have thought that of you.
I don't know what to say.

lready.

I've seen 'pure' animalistic barbarity; it isn't something taught in
civics courses. I belive, at the rate I'm going , I'll be out of the
city, next spring. Like you wrote 'my eyes were opened'. I will do
what I must and what I choose. If a rule or law inconveniences me,
well, I just don't care anymore; I'll do as I please.

Careful there, or you will see the people you fear in the mirror.

I have been steadily working on my refuge. I figured out how to do
it with absolutely no connection to me and where I will be; and I
still have options as far as the destination. It isn't easy,
actually, it's pretty complicated, and a bit pricey. But, I so long
for absolute privacy, and now that I have developed a way to realize
that mission, I'm working at it daily.

That sounds promising. Want to share any details?

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius
will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the
world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone
are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve
the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge