homestead - Re: [Homestead] Flax...was..Update on health

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Flax...was..Update on health
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 21:08:10 -0600

Bev,

You can make a pudding by griding a couple tablespoons of flax seed and adding them with a little fresh fruit (banana, kiwi, strawberries, etc) in a blender, sweetened if you like with a little honey, a little lemon juice and vanilla for extra flavor. I let them set up in the fridge in individual cups and garnish with some lemon peel freshly grated. Because the seeds are so gelatinous they make a good pudding and once you get the hang of it since there' no cooking involved you can knock out an elegant, healthful dessert in no time at all.

--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:
I have a mortar and pestle. I use flax in breads-loaf bread, muffins, etc. In addition to adding those Omega fatty acids, I believe it helps my concentration and focus. I have a mason jar full of them on the kitchen counter. I will try grinding them. Eggs...they are good on eggs? What veggies?

Jeanne Driese wrote:
Flax seed can be very beneficial but eaten whole passes right
through whole and you do not gain much if any benefit. The way to
gain the most benefits is to grind it and eat it within 30 minutes of
grinding. It begins to lease some of its benefits almost right away
after it is ground. If a person has one of those little coffee
grinders they work like a charm. Toss in a couple of tablespoons and
then put in on what ever you are going to eat. It is good on almost
anything you can think of. Cereal, yogurt, ice-cream, eggs, veggies,
and on and on! And they are cheap....a pound goes a long way. Jeanne
tnhillwoman North East TN zone 6 -----