homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness - Weight Lifting Routine

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness - Weight Lifting Routine
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:14:04 -0800 (PST)

This is the prescribed routine that I followed long ago when I had a personal
trainer/nutritionist.  These are some of the things I learned.

The purpose was to

1) Increase muscle fitness & size (slightly)
- fit and larger muscles burn calories even when resting

2) lose weight in terms of losing "fat weight" not "muscle weight"

- muscles actually weight more than fat, but muscles burn fat when no other
food source available
- fat doesn't burn fat

To lose fat weight, caloric intake must be less than caloric burn rates
To lose weight while resting, add muscle
(For women, muscles will not get "huge" unless you feed them - overeat"

THE EXERCISE ROUTINE:

MON-WED-FRI
28 mins minimum of cardio my choice, bike, treadmill, stairmaster, eliptical,
rowing
(I usually did 30 mins to 45 mins - although in the beginning I could only do
5 mins)

TUE-THR-SAT
Approximately 30-45 mins weight training - divided into major muscle groups

TUE - Legs & Abs
THR - Back & Triceps & Shoulders
Sat - Chest & Biceps & Abs

A variety of exercises targeting those muscle groups - 'twas different every
week - but basically 12 repetitions, then rest for 30 seconds, repeat 3
times.  Do that for each different exercise until about 30-45 mins have gone
by.

Weights were started out fairly light in the beginning, but as I got stronger
he added weight, not repetion.

Occassionally to "bust up the routine" he would have me do reps until I could
no longer do a rep (this was only after I was very fit).

Occassionally, he would have me do weird stuff, like push his car around the
parking lot - i.e. work muscle groups in a manner they weren't accustomed to,
or punch a punching bag, etc.

The weight liftting routines alwasy started with a 5 min warm-up in cardio
and stretching before, and stretching after.

Also, had to keep a journal - which weight lifting exercise, how many reps,
how much weight.

And I did go "heavy" on the weights after about 3 months, although sometimes
he would switch back to lighter weights.  I did not get those big steroid
type muscles at all.  I could move more weight than some of the police
officers in training at the gym (it was definitely a hard core guys gym).

The benefits of the heavier weights helped me immensely around the horse farm
- those 110 pounds bales of hay were a breeze to move, as were the 50 pounds
sacks of feed, etc.  Although I had been lifting those for years really
without much problem - other parts of my body had NO muscle - like my
shoulders (I could not lift a hair dryer and dry my then very long hair all
in one drying session), my ab muscles (I couldn' do a sit up - which led to
lower spine instability and a vertebrae that moved out of alignment until I
got fit again), etc.
I could ride a horse (not the pleasure kind of riding, but hard work type)
for 5 hours, yet good chunks of my body were still unfit.

BTW - if you are bending over to pick veggies and your lower back hurts, or
gets that "sciatic" pain - abs and lower back exercises and stretching is a
must.  Weight lifting cured my sciatic, after my muscles got strong enough
they aligned my spine by themselves during a squat.

Also, I found that after about a year in training, my body got too used to
the entire routine and I would have been better off going to cross training.