homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: cayadopi AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 05:24:36 -0700

On Dec 14, 2008, at 12:03 AM, Leslie wrote:

A follow up on a comment made by Bob sometime in the last couple of days.... more or less along the lines of reduced food supplies from commercial farmers.

What I would like to know is would that result in reduced seeds available for purchase?

Seed companies produce seed. Farmers produce food.

I have read that hybrids don't reproduce "true", and therefore we should look for non-hybrid heirloom seeds. Has anyone found this true about the hybrids, to the point where it matters?

Absolutely true.

I've ordered some heirloom seeds, but would love a link to someplace that has more heirlooms than hybrids.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. http://rareseeds.com/