homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 12:45:40 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

Bev; I understand completely. There isn't enough heavy work in the
winter on a homestead to keep in shape. Yeah, I haul wood every day,
but that isn't enough, with all the extra sitting around. As we get
older, it's more important to stay in shape so we don't hurt
ourselves when the work DOES come.

I know that you work around the property, too, and like I wrote a minute
ago, maybe it is just that there is no consistency in what I do, that I
am not working the right things.

I do the Walk Away the Pounds videos. The 4 mile is a nice one, but
it takes an uninterupted hour to do. She uses weights in the others,
but not in the 4 mile for some reason, so I added the weights to that
one; she uses 3 pound, I use 5 pound hand weights. That's no where
near enough weight training to be ready for...oh, say, pulling a 300
ewe out of the mud (which I've had to do more than once), or other
everyday homestead tasks. I'd like to add more weight training, but
don't have a weight set....is doing lots of reps with smaller weights
as good for building muscle?

I'm not sure about your last question, which is why I need help myself.
BUT, be careful exercising with weights. I have some ankle weights that
I have stopped using. The theory is that weights, either hand or ankle
mess up your natural stride, and that could cause injury. I wish I
could find a very logical article I read about using weights, how it
makes no sense to risk injury for an extra 5% of calories to burn, when
you can get better results by either speeding up your walk or doing more
reps..
Around here, I find that I have to use leverage for a good many
tasks...moving the chicken tractor, for example..there is a short chain
on the front that I could pick up and pull, but it is a lot easier if I
pull a steel bar through the loop and use the bar to pull.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda